Wednesday, October 31, 2007

So, NaNoWriMo

I signed up a few days ago, after procrastinating for a couple of years.

What I think to be true:

~ I don't have time to write 50,000 words in November.
~ I should be using November to reconnect with out rhythm and get back into the swing of living and learning with my family.
~ I really deserve a month off.
~ I'm afraid that what I write will be crap.

What I also think to be true:

~ Regardless of whether or not I write a novel worth using as tinder, I have the opportunity to introduce discipline to my writing.
~ Participating in NaNo may help me decide what I want to do in terms of my writing.

What I know:

~ I am a writer. Not just was a writer, or wants to be a writer. I write. I have always written. I write in my head even if it doesn't end up on paper. In fact, getting my words to paper is my major hang-up. In the past I have focused on poetry and creative non-fiction, but that is mostly because of the horrible short story I wrote for my fiction class when I was 20. Which, judged by my peers, wasn't as horrible as I thought it was. It's time to move past that and see if I have a voice for fiction.

~ I always struggle to say I am a writer.

~ I have not mentioned this to anyone IRL.

~ I could lie and say that I won't be posting much on the blog, but I know it isn't true. Writing begets writing, and procrastinating results in blog posts.

Do you NaNoWriMo?

1 comment:

  1. Blogging is indeed a nice procrastination tool.

    Get used to saying you're a writer. Because once you finish that novel, there's no hiding it. Not only a writer, but an author and a novelist.

    Rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete