Friday, August 22, 2014

A Day in the Life of Voluntary Frugalista

My Friday Frugal Victories posts are so boring that I am going to put up bonus posts on Fridays.

Here is what a typical day looks like for me; it's summer so I don't have homeschooling in the mix right now.


The alarm goes off; I hit snooze planning to grab an extra 9 minutes, but Papa gets up and rouses the boys, so I get up after all. The guys are getting all their stuff together before they head out for a ride, so I stay in my room and check email and blogs.

6:00 AM - 8:00 AM

I get up, open all the windows, and start a load of laundry (my skirts which I wash once a week). I pull down the load of small towels that had stayed out overnight, fold them, and put them away. I also put away a load of towels that had been folded Saturday evening; the basket had been hidden behind a chair. When the washing machine finishes I hang my skirts outside to dry.

I empty the dishwasher and dish rack.

I grind einkorn for zucchini muffins, and while the mill is going I take a cone of piloncillo outside and whack it into pieces (in a previously used zipper bag), and then I whirl the piloncillo chunks in the food processor to make brown sugar. I make the muffins and get them into the oven.

I grind wheat for sandwich bread and get that loaf going in the bread maker.

I hand wash all the dishes I used and wipe the counters in the kitchen.

I make my bed.

8:00 - 8:45 AM

I visit with Papa while he makes smoothies and has his breakfast.

8:45 - 9:25 AM

I get dressed (in clothes nice enough to go out in), wash my face, brush my teeth, fix my hair, and put my jewelry on.

I have the boys close the windows, bring in the dry bike clothing, potty the dogs, and get their clothes ready to be washed.

I start a load of regular clothes in the washing machine.

9:25 - 10:30 AM

We go to the orthodontist to have a consultation for J. The billing secretary works with us to find a way to use our flexible spending account for 2014/2015/2016 so that all the monies paid will be pre-tax.

10:30 - 11:00 AM

I take the bread out of bread machine.

Computer break.

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM

I cook our main meal of scrambled tofu and cauliflower, Field Roast chipotle sausages, roasted potatoes, and fresh fruit.

I hang the clean load of laundry on the racks.

12:00 - 1:00 PM

I eat lunch (our main meal) with my family.

1:00 - 3:00 PM

I kind of piddle around, doing some paperwork, looking for a lost piece of paperwork, updating YNAB, working on a blog post, etc.

3:00 - 4:00 PM

I add a crocheted edging to three dish cloths I had knit previously.

I clean up a sick dog's mess and mop the kitchen floor.

4:00 - 5:00 PM

I call the vet about the dogs, and call Papa, and then wait for a return call (that never came).

5:00 - 6:00 PM

Papa and I visit (while I wait for the return call that doesn't come).

I check the library to make sure the books that are on hold for me won't be returned to circulation before I go early next week. I check to see if there any books due this week, and I put another book on hold.

6:00 - 6:30 PM

We eat dinner, which is actually our lighter, lunch foods meal.

6:30 - 7:00 PM

I bring in my skirts from the drying racks. J is still complaining about his stomach, so I call the nurse line. I have to call back when the first nurse isn't in my state and can't figure out how to transfer my call to another nurse.

7:00 - 8:00 PM

I order the loaf pans I have been needing (and hemming and hawing about) and then I work on this blog post. I am in the living room with the guys, who are playing Monopoly on the iPads so that J can remain lying down.

8:00 - 9:00 PM

I tidy up a little.

I bring in and put away the clothes that were drying outside.

I wrap the muffins that I had frozen earlier, and put them back in the freezer.

I fill my water bottle.

I check the water filter system to see if it needs water added.

I check the dogs' water bowl.

I get ready for bed.

9:00 - 10:00 PM

I close the windows.

I read in bed.

10:00 PM

Lights out.

No comments:

Post a Comment