Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Summer Manifesto

This year, for three full months (June, July, August), I plan to enjoy the bounty of summer.

1) I will not read any self-help books.  There is nothing wrong with me.  My house does not need to be organized according to someone else's rules, my family doesn't need to write a vision statement, and I don't need any more ideas on how to __________ (fill in the blank).

2) I will not read any help-your-dog books.  I don't have to follow anyone else's dogs rules; if we are happy with the Big Dog walking just ahead of heel (but not pulling) then that is good enough for us.

3) I will not start any new eating plans.  Not Paleo, not Traditional Foods, not vegetarianism.  I choose not to be afraid of food and I know that there isn't a magic diet out there that will prevent any and all future disease.  Nutritional education, of which I have more than enough, is good, obsession is bad.

4) I will unplug as much as possible, especially from anonymous non-connection.

5) I will enjoy the gifts that summer brings, the hot days, warm evenings, cool mornings, and long hours of glorious sunlight.  I will make a point to be outside daily, whether that is under an oak tree at the park or on a chaise beside the pool.

6) I will paint my toenails the bright colors I love and not worry that I will contract an incurable disease because of it.  The smile that the colors bring to my lips and my heart are powerful medicine.

7) I will stop trying to save the world.  I will stop believing that can and stop worrying that I'm not doing enough.  I will be content with what I do rather than thinking that there is always something more.

8) I will make ice creams, sorbets, and popsicles for my children and myself.  I will occasionally buy us all Thrifty Ice Cream and not worry about it.

9) I will take more photographs, I'd call it a 90 (rather than a 365) but I'm not sure I want to make a rule for myself that I might feel badly about if I break it.  But my goal is to have a photograph in every summer blog post.

10) I will let myself be ... myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment