Sunday, May 15, 2011

Quiet

It was so quiet in the house today; the boys and Papa spent most of the day at the JPL Open House and I was home alone with the dogs.  (Hmm, can I be alone if I am with the dogs?)

I had grand plans ~ learning about my serger, giving myself a pedicure, viewing more of my new yoga DVD, making a small batch of jam.  Somehow of those I only accomplished the pedicure; my toes are now a lovely Aegean blue-green.  But I did fold and put away laundry, unload the dishwasher, put a pot roast into the slow cooker, read, bake zucchini bread, work on my blog, and watch an episode of American Pickers (I didn't love it).

As much as I love quiet, and definitely seek it at times, I find that I prefer the background hum of boys at play to the hum of the (very loud, who knew?) refrigerator.  And my sprinklers are loud when they are on! Plus the Big Dog barks at sprinklers, and because I was home alone he felt extra protective and was giving the sprinklers the what for.  He and I had words but that didn't work, so I had to resort to a spray of vinegar water.  I wish he could understand that I'm cool with the sprinklers, but no, they are a daily threat.

So today was a good experience; I was slightly bored and I missed my family and that means that overall my needs are being met and I wasn't starved for quiet and alone time.  I was so happy when they came home earlier than I expected and the soundtrack of my days was restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment