Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Story Time

I apologize for posting so often, but part of my goal with the blog is for me to document all of the ways we are learning so I can really see how it all works.

We walked to the local independent children's bookstore this morning. We've been attending story time for 5 years now; I started going when Boy #1 turned 2YO. The boys know Miss Rita well and today they each enjoyed getting to choose a book for her to read. Story time ebbs and flows; today we had a small crowd. The boys really enjoyed listening to the stories; Miss Rita is a great reader. I think children should hear lots of people read - Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, the librarian, and others. Everyone brings something unique to it.

I took my handwork as usual, but I also tucked in Donna Simmons' The Christopherus Waldorf Curriculum Overview for Homeschoolers, which I am going over again. It is a great book; this week I have been planning so we can return to Waldorf lessons next week, and I wanted to see the big picture again. While at the bookstore I glanced at the reading list for 5-8 year olds, and decided to buy a copy of Mr. Popper's Penguins. DH has been looking for a good chapter book to read at night.

It was a choice to buy the book. I could have borrowed it from the library. I could have bought it at Barnes and Nobles for 20% off with my educator discount. But every now and I then I make a choice to buy from the independent bookstore, because we get so much from story time and because I would hate it if they went away. We also like to buy birthday presents at the store; if you're going to spend the money anyway why not choose a local business instead of Target? Buying local is one lesson we are trying to teach our children.

After story time we walked through the little mall. We tried to find an apple cutter that would be safe for the boys to use, but had no luck. This afternoon we'll head to the thrift shops and see if we have any luck there.

No comments:

Post a Comment