Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Another Recipe, Bread This Time

I was just reading last night about someone's frustration that most whole wheat bread recipes still call for refined flour, and I thought I'd post the recipe I developed for my bread machine. It is a Zojirushi V-20 (I think). Anyway, it uses all whole wheat flour, with the addition of gluten, but no refined flour.

1 1/3 C. pure water (filtered or spring)
1/3 C. local honey or organic maple syrup
2 T. organic unsalted cultured butter
1 1/2 t. sea salt (we use Real Salt)
3 1/2 C. organic white whole wheat flour (I grind my own or use King Arthur, with Bob's Red Mill as a back-up)
1/3 C. organic stone ground corn meal
2 T. vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 t. SAF instant yeast (use a full tablespoon of an active dry yeast)

I use the regular bread cycle set to light crust, not the whole wheat cycle. It can also be made on the quick cycle as long as the water and sweetener are warmed to about 100 degrees, the butter is very soft, and the flour is not cold. Vegans and anyone who follows a casein-free diet can substitute the oil of their choice for the butter. Before I developed allergies to both wheat and yeast I loved this bread, and Papa and T-Guy enjoy it even now.

Oh yeah ~ why use the bread machine instead of making the bread by hand? Honestly, right now I am trying to not even touch foods that I am allergic to. Soon enough I will adapt it to a slow food recipe, and I will find a way to eliminate the vital wheat gluten.

No comments:

Post a Comment